A major issue that we all have to deal with at some point in time in our lives is over-priced automotive insurance premiums.
It can seem so hard to find a well-established, reputable insurance company to have your policy through that will offer you affordable auto insurance. There are some things that if you are aware of them, can help you to achieve the outcome you are looking for.
One thing that is standard, no matter what company you try to deal with, is that if you are 25 years of age or younger, your rates will be much higher. Statistics have proven that most accidents that occur involve younger drivers.
This does not mean that an older driver will not have an accident; this is just the standard average. One option to lower your insurance premium is if you still live at home, you can be added to your parent's policy and the amount will be cheaper than a policy of your own.
Another thing you must take into consideration is that your premium will be affected by how many claims you have put against your insurance in the past. The more claims you have filed, the higher a risk you are assumed to be, so your insurance premium will, of course, be higher.
There are some things that you can do to help prevent your rates from being outrageous. Here are a few:
- The lower your annual mileage, the cheaper your policy will be. As a rule of thumb, keeping your mileage below 10,000 miles annually will provide you with a lower premium.
- Installing and implementing safety devices on your vehicle offers you a reduction in your premium. This includes things such as, anti-lock brakes, security system, air bags, and so on.
- Enrolling and completing a defensive driving class can provide you with a lower rate on your premium.
- Attaining and keeping a good credit history and score can provide a reduction in your rates.
- Improving your driving history by not filing any claims for the policy period will provide a reduction in rates for the following year's policy.
- Raising the deductible associated with your policy can reduce your premium, but keep in mind that raising this means more out of your pocket if you have an accident.
Implementing some or all of these ideas can help you save money on your car insurance. Keep your insurance company apprised of what you are doing, and check with them regarding the discount offered for completing the driving class.