Pull out your auto insurance policy and carefully review it. Make sure that you have uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage protects you if you are injured in an accident by another driver who either has no auto insurance or has lower limits. Please understand that many Ohio drivers have state minimum limits of $12,500.00 per person. Usually, that amount of coverage will barely cover your emergency room visit.

I recommend that you have at least $100,000.00 per person and $300,000.00 per accident of uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage.

Please also make sure that you have medical payments coverage of at least $5,000.00. It is preferable to have $25,000.00 of medical payments coverage. This coverage will pay your medical bills if you are injured in an auto accident. This coverage is very important, particularly if you do not have health insurance coverage.

It is also wise to have an umbrella policy. You would be surprised to learn that the premiums for an umbrella policy are very low. It is not that expensive to purchase a $1,000,000.00 umbrella policy that can protect you in the event of an accident.

Many insurance agents do not tell you about uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage, medical payments, and umbrella coverage. Frequently, you have to specifically request this coverage. I cannot over emphasize how important it is that you have this coverage in your auto policies.

Protect yourself by reviewing your automobile insurance policy today. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call me.

Robert D. Erney