Wrongful Death Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer Columbus, Ohio
Has a loved one died as the result of a semi-truck accident? Let us help you get justice.
Accidents involving semi-trucks and other large commercial vehicles are far more likely to result in fatality than any other type of motor vehicle.
Did a loved one involved in a semi-truck accident pass away from their injuries? Get a Free Case Evaluation today.
If your loved one has been killed in a semi-truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation for losses and damages. Semi-truck wrongful death lawsuits occur when the driver or trucking company showed negligence or misconduct that led to the wrongful death of a person. In these types of cases, wrongful death damages and survival damages may be obtained. When a death has occurred due to a semi-truck, there must be ample proof to show that it was the result of negligent behavior or misconduct. An experienced wrongful death attorney understands the different sources of recovery available and can work with the insurance company and parties involved to see that you receive the recovery you deserve when a loved one has been killed wrongfully in a semi-truck accident. Trust Erney Law in Columbus, Ohio to fight for your family’s entitled compensation.
No fees unless your case wins
Contact us directly anytime
5 reasons why you need a wrongful death semi-truck accident lawyer in Columbus, Ohio.
- The insurance company representing the semi-truck driver want to offer you as little compensation as possible. A wrongful death semi-truck accident attorney has your best interest in mind and wants to earn your family the highest amount of medical and financial compensation as possible.
- A wrongful death semi-truck accident attorney fight the insurance companies with proof of how much compensation you’re entitled to for the loss of your loved one.
- An experienced wrongful death semi-truck accident attorney has the ability to answer any questions you may have at any time, they know how to properly file a legal claim, and you’ll have someone dedicated to your family’s legal needs.
- Should your case reach the courtroom, your wrongful death semi-truck accident attorney will serve as your loved ones representation, they know all the facts about your case, and will be better equipped to favorably speak to the jury on your loved ones behalf.
- Your wrongful death semi-truck accident law firm like Erney Law in Columbus, Ohio will allow you to focus on your grieving process rather than spending all your time and resources trying to navigate your way through your case inexperienced and alone.
What is the difference between wrongful death semi-truck accident vs. accidental death semi-truck accident in Columbus, Ohio?
There is a difference between wrongful death by semi-truck accident and accidental death by semi-truck accident. The difference is, in the event of an semi-truck accident resulting in death is classified as an accident, no party shall be held responsible, therefore there isn’t a lawful claim to file. However, if the same accident occurs at the hand of a negligent driver, and death is the result, the semi-truck accident would be considered a wrongful death and would warrant the right to pursue a wrongful death claim against the negligent semi-truck driver.
What behaviors by the at-fault driver qualify as a means of wrongful death in Columbus, Ohio?
The most common causes of semi-truck accidents is negligence. Some of these behaviors include:
- Falling asleep behind the wheel
- Distracted driving
- Failure to obey traffic signals
- Driving while intoxicated
- Failure to drive as safely as weather permits
- Violation of trucking laws
- Road rage or aggressive driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
Who can be compensated for a wrongful death semi-truck accident in Columbus, Ohio?
The spouse or life partner has the right to seek compensation for the loss of their companions life including lost wages, hospital bills, funeral services and burial expenses, mental grievances, and more.
The decedent’s financially dependent children have the right to sue for the loss of a parent.
Parents of a single, unmarried decedent have the right to file a claim if they have provided their parents with at least 50% of their financial support.
What's the process?
Personal injury cases can be complicated and not always guaranteed. Our process ensures that every client we represent will receive the best possible financial outcome, and start the healing process.
Free Case Evaluation
We will first review your case carefully, get to know you, and gain an understanding of your injuries.
Monitor Your Care
We ensure you are receiving the proper medical treatment during this difficult time.
We Handle Everything
We will relieve the worry and burden of dealing with the insurance companies and maximize your financial recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions
A member of my family was killed in a semi – truck accident as a result of someone else’s fault. What are my rights?
The first hurdle is liability. Can it be proven that it was someone else’s fault? The second hurdle is causation. Can it be proven that your family member died as a result of the injuries he or she suffered in the accident? The third hurdle is insurance coverage. Does the at – fault party have automobile insurance? If all of these hurdles are met, an estate needs to be set up for the deceased person and someone needs to be the Administrator. If the deceased person had a will, then the Executor will be in charge of the estate. Only the Administrator or Executor has the power to bring a wrongful death lawsuit against the at-fault party. The beneficiaries of the estate share in the financial recovery.
Do I have to go to probate court when a semi – truck accident wrongful death case is settled?
In Ohio, the answer is yes. The settlement and distribution of the settlement must be approved by the probate court the estate was established in.
Do I have to pay taxes on a semi – truck accident wrongful death settlement?
No, the proceeds of a wrongful death settlement are not taxable.
Free Case Evaluation
We're eager to meet with you, see how we can help and give you and your family the personal attention you deserve.
Your case matters to us, just as much as it matters to you. We want to help you every step of the way, but in order to do so, we need to meet with you, get all the facts, and work out the details in order to build your case. We will meet with you for absolutely free, and explain to you in full detail the inner workings of how these situations usually end up, how likely you are to win your case, and how compensation works for you and for us.
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Grove City, Ohio
New Albany, Ohio
Upper Arlington, Ohio